Cyber Security Issues for Plan SponsorsJanuary 6, 2021
The Department of Labor is working on a guidance package addressing cybersecurity issues as they relate to plan sponsors and third-party providers.
Tim Hauser, Deputy Assistant Secretary for DOL’s Employee Benefit Security Administration (EBSA) has indicated that we should expect more focus in the department’s investigations of the adequacy of various cybersecurity programs to confirm that service providers plan sponsors hire are practicing effective cybersecurity practices.
Mr. Hauser also indicated that the forthcoming guidance would be informal, and not a formal notice and comment.
Plan Sponsor Considerations
The DOL expects there to be questions asked when hiring a TPA or record-keeper.
• What practices and policies do the service provider have to ensure their systems are secure?
• Does the service provider have regular third-party audits by an independent entity?
• How does the third party validate their systems cybersecurity?
• Is there any history of cybersecurity incidents? If so, what is their track record?
• What did they learn from any prior incidents, and how have they improved their defensive processes?
• Do they indemnify their clients in event of security systems breaches that result in losses?
• Do they have insurance policies to make you whole and cover breaches, or do they have all sorts of waivers and exculpatory clauses in their contracts?
In the event a security breach is identified and an offender has achieved access to confidential information, the plan sponsor should produce a documented response, including notifying law enforcement, the FBI, the plan and their participants.
Once an official final guidance package is made available, we will share that information with you.
To learn more about how Acumen can help you Invest Intentionally®, please contact us.
ACR# 3330000 11/20
Acumen Wealth Advisors, LLC® is a Registered Investment Adviser. Advisory services are only offered to clients or prospective clients where Acumen Wealth Advisors, LLC® and its representatives are properly licensed or exempt from licensure. Past performance is no guarantee of future returns. Investing involves risk and possible loss of principal capital. No advice may be rendered by Acumen Wealth Advisors, LLC® unless a client service agreement is in place. Acumen Wealth Advisors, LLC® is afﬁliated with RPAG and utilizes their robust retirement plan consulting tools and resources to deliver enhanced value to plan sponsor clients. RPAG™, a wholly owned subsidiary of NFP (NFP Corp.), provides retirement advisors premier technology, systems, training, and resources through its practice management platforms.
Get in touch
Our mission is to help you and your family Invest Intentionally®.
Contact us today to start your journey.